Monday, November 7, 2011

my market satchel & the unknown

 
Yesterday, I needed to sew. From the moment I woke, that’s all I wanted to do. To clear my mind of all the questions that lie ahead of me, all the unknowns and decisions that have to be made. So, I pulled out all my old scraps of leather and misprinted hemp canvas and started to sew with little idea of what I would make. It’s amazing how therapeutic it is to create something without knowing what the outcome will be. I felt so much lighter as I was clearing the cut threads from my table. The added reward for listening to my inner voice - I made a perfect little imperfect satchel for the market I’m doing at the Waldorf School in Philadelphia next week. Somewhere to keep my business cards, phone and receipts right at my hip.  I wonder if ten years from now, I’ll look at this satchel and remember what I was feeling when I made it. No doubt, the unknown that lies ahead of me in life will yield some wonderful rewards too.

2 comments:

  1. loved this post. this is how I work too. the need to make is compulsive. and I love to make things out of scraps as well. the satchel looks great. sounds like the market was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lotta. I just love your work so it means a quite a bit for me to read your words here.

    ReplyDelete